Savants and Autism: Is there a relationship and what does it mean for the music educator?
The learning goals of this independent study are:
- To obtain a broader understanding of the history of "savants", the autism spectrum, and if the two are interrelated. If so, how?
- To learn about the connections between neuroscience and how musical savants learn music.
- To gain an evolving understanding of the implications for music educators.
- An annotated bibliography consisting of 40 resources will be compiled that include journal articles, research studies, and textbooks.
- A proposal for practical application of this new knowledge into a musical setting.